Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The best laid plans....

...Are doomed to fail.  Tonight we had a party to go to.  I was so excited that it was going to be at Chick-fila because I know I can get a safe gluten free meal there.  My go-to order is a chargrilled chicken sandwich with no bun, add provolone cheese with a side salad and a fruit cup for dessert.  However due to the fact that we are in the midst of a blizzard the restaurant decided to close early.  So the party was relocated to Pizza Hut.  Could there be a worse choice for a gluten free meal?  The worst part?  I had no time to find a suitable dinner before the party started and it seems that someone snacked on my emergency stash of Larabars!  So I had to make a cup of coffee to bring along.  Coffee helps kill my appetite for a brief spell.  It got me through the party at least!  It was worth it to see my adorable nephew so happy!

After the party I rushed home (well as much as you can rush with half a foot of snow) and made my favorite quick meal.  Scrambled eggs with bacon and cheddar.  I love breakfast food for dinner!  Luckily I had a slice of leftover bacon in the fridge so I didn't have to wait for it to fry. 
To serve with it I had a coffee protein shake.  I used the Starbucks Via in vanilla.  It has an interesting marshmallow like flavor. I find you really need to mix it with more water than called for or it is soooo bitter.  I mixed it with ice, natural vanilla protein powder, and 1/4 cup of low fat milk.  It was so foamy on top.  Really good.  I do love my coffee. 

Anyhow this goes to show that in a pinch you can make a quick, relatively healthy meal in no time...no drive thru required!

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! All that snow has so many unforeseen side effects. Glad you made it through on coffee. I'm sure nephew was very glad you were there. Nice way to save dinner@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a bummer. I think all of us gluten free peeps have been through that. I tend to get cranky when hungry, so it's never good:( Breakfast for dinner is the best! I made "Moosh," grits with bacon and fried eggs mooshed up in it with cheese. YUM

    ReplyDelete