Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Soylent Green, Jogging, and Millet.

The final verdict on the tofu was it's okay but in the back of my mind I kept thinking this would be so good with chicken or shrimp! Tofu is a food item that the more I eat, the less I want to eat.  Oh well.  I'll keep trying! 


Lately I've been thinking about the stuff people eat.  I will admit I'm a bit of a food snob.  I sneak glances in people's shopping carts at the store, I scope out what my co-workers are having for lunch, and I pay attention to new products coming out.  More and more it makes me think that my favorite cult classic movie, Soylent Green, isn't so far fetched.  Of course the reason real food is scarce in the movie is due to global warming, but the reality today is that real food is abundant but no one wants it!  I've been watching Food Revolution with interest because I live just over an hour outside of Huntington, WV.  It's horrifying to see delicious looking, real food pushed aside in favor of frankenfood in the lunch room!  To think that parents would give their kids chips, candies, and Lunchables to spare them the horror of eating a freshly prepared meal!  Plus so much junk food is fortified with vitamins, antioxidant, etc...Eating fruits and veggies is so obsolete.  So many people read the exaggerated health claims on the front of a box and don't even care what additives are being thrown in to the mix.  I honestly believe the soylent corporation could thrive in today's market!  I'm sincerely hoping shows like Food Revolution and movies like Food, Inc. will make consumers more aware of what they are eating because I'm tired of reading food labels and cringing!
Speaking of real food I tried something new today.  I should say I have tried millet before in gluten free granola bars and cereals, however it's not sold in my local stores so I've not got to experiment with it myself.  So on my recent trip to OH I picked some up!  I decided today was the day to try it! I wasn't sure what to with it and in thinking of other things that needed used up I realized I had a lot of cilantro in the fridge.  So I decided to make a millet salad with cilantro and black beans. It was so easy and delicious!
Millet and Black Bean Salad

1/2 cup millet
1/2 can of diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
2TB lime juice
chopped cilanto

First I simmered the millet in 1.5 cup of water for 30 minutes.  Then I stirred in tomatoes and black beans.  Drizzle with lime juice and stir in chopped cilantro.  Chill for at least 30 minutes!  I served it with chicken legs coated in Hol Grain gluten free breading and baked.  I should definitely have not told my husband that millet is used in birdseed because he opted for microwaveable mac and cheese instead! lol! 

Not all the goodies I bought in OH were as wholesome as the millet.  I found some pink grapefruit gummy bears.  I love gummy bears and I love grapefruits (I eat them like oranges).  These tasted really good, but smelled really strange.  
So as for exercise...yesterday I seriously passed out the second I got home from work.  I decided I obviously really needed the rest.  Today my energy level was okay so I did the chest and bicep routine from this months Muscle and Fitness Hers and then I did something completely out of character.  I went on a walk/jog. The walk part isn't unusual but the jog part really is.  I hate jogging.  Every year I go through a phase where I convince myself I can learn to enjoy jogging.  Today was not a great success.  A creepy guy kept circling the block and trying to talk to me, my chest was on fire, and I hacked and coughed for about an hour after I finished.  I've heard that we are having record high pollen levels so that could be a factor...also the temperature dropped unusually low today so maybe that played a part too.  I still feel good that I burned some calories and enjoyed the sunshine!  I also made friends with a Dusty the golden retriever.  All in all a good evening! 

2 comments:

  1. I gave up on tofu. Just wasn't happening for me. Sometimes I read blogs and feel like I *should* like it and eat it, but real life doesn't work out that way :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of tofu (or jogging either for that matter, but I'm trying C25K so we'll see). But I had to say that I *love* Soylent Green, but absolutely none of my friends know what I'm talking about when I refer to it.

    ReplyDelete